Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tidbits from the Past

When Steve died, the more I thought about it, the more I felt that I had to write something that reflected how much his life had impacted mine and the people's around me. I shared about how he had helped to fix my car, played with my son, argued with his wife, discussed politics with his dad. . . . the list goes on. But there was one part that I forgot; not meaning to.

I received a call on my way down to help a friend of mine from work who's house had been completely destroyed by a tornado. Halfway there, my mother's boyfriend called and said that my mom was really sick with cancer and was in a coma. I was devastated and didn't know what to think or how to act. All I could do was cry. I made it to my friend's house and worked until I could work no more. I was supposed to go to my family's house for my aunt's birthday but I called and told them that I wouldn't be able to make it.

Just for a brief history. . . I was adopted. The mother in the coma was the birth mother that I had just found a year and a half previously so I hadn't known her for that long. She lives in CO and my adoptive family lives here where I do.

I got home and couldn't make any decisions on my own. Finally, M told me to just go before it was too late. So my mother-in-law started making phone calls to get prices on airfare. Everything we found was $700 or more. It was hopeless. It seemed as though I wouldn't be able to afford to go. Steve suggested asking for bereavement fares. Turned out that it was $321 for the round trip.

Had Steve not suggested that type of fare, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to see my mom one last time before they took her away. I ran into ice storms and delays and all kinds of nonsense. I was so late on arriving but the weird thing is that by the time I reached a phone and called the hospital, they told me she had just passed. It was like she waited to make sure I made it there okay.

Thanks Steve. Make sure mom isn't hoggin the Harley!

No comments: