Friday, August 18, 2006

The Irony of Being a Teenager

I remember way back in the day when I was a teenager. Ah the boys, the sex, the drinking, the skipping school. . .

I have a 15 year old daughter that we will call B. B just started high school yesterday and I asked her how her first day of school went.

"Great Mom!"
"How do you like your teachers?"
"Most of them are OK except for my chemistry teacher. I don't like her so much."
"Why is that honey?"
"It's M's mom!"

OK. Just a brief overview. M is my daughter's really close friend and I would almost call him her boyfriend. However, M's mom doesn't care too much for B which creates a problem especially considering the fact that she must earn a grade from this woman.

I could remember a time when I earned my right at a bad reputation. I worked damn hard at it; pissing people off, doing what I wanted, having the mouth of a sailor, sporting a 4" high white mohawk. . . ah the memories. However, I never ran into a problem such as the type that my daughter may have to face in the future.

This woman doesn't like B because she calls all the time and she has the calls reciprocated by her son. Let's also talk about how her son had a knife on him at one point in time. Let's talk about the fact that her son has dark, shadowy overtones. Let's face it people, I for one know how people judge you based on your appearance. I try to give people more credit than what they are willing to portray on the outside. But growning up in a constrictive and judgmental household, I know how society can treat others that look different. B on the other hand doesn't look abnormal; a little on the grunge side but all in all she is a beautiful young woman.

All I can do is hope that this new teacher of her's gets to know her and love her the way that all of her past teachers and peers have loved her. If not, then I guess I need to get my big can of whoop ass ready to go!

2 comments:

Barbarian02003 said...

I'll be your back up.

Issy said...

Thanks man! I need all the help I can get!