Thursday, December 14, 2006

Let's Not Make it too Long!

I took some time off of work today to see P off properly. There were only 3 of us; FIL, hubby and myself. We had to be at the cemetary at 8 this morning. The funeral director (which we are on a first name basis with him now) was to be there at 8:15. Prompt as could be, the mustard colored hearse pulled up. I commented to hubby that P was getting ride for the last time in a Caddie. Those were his favorite vehicles. . . lots of class. At least they got that part right.

The funeral director said to my FIL that they had found a watch and a set of glasses with P but didn't put them on him in the casket and did he want the items. FIL said to put them with him in the casket which they did. Come to think of it now, I wonder if they even dressed P nice? I wouldn't put it past them to put his cold, lifeless body in there naked. They purchased the cheapest casket that the funeral home had to offer. Only reason why I'm saying that is because when Steve passed, we had to pick out the casket. Hubby picked it out and it was a real pretty one but it cost quite a bit. I saw the one that P was currently in. It was one of the first ones in line in there "show room". Nothing too good for ol P! He's gone now! What's that old biblical saying "Spare the rod" or something like that?

Hubby and some of the cemetary workers pulled P out of the hearse and placed him above the hole in the ground. The funeral director asked us if more people were coming. No. We didn't even know if the other living grandchild had been contacted about his death. He then asked FIL if he wanted to say a few words on P's behalf. FIL asked if the director could do it but to not make it too long. God forbid. Christ. How much worse could this get? He gave the Irish Blessing along with the the one that starts "The lord is my shepard, I shall not want". I've always loved that passage but it reminds me of death. Then the funeral director started reciting this:

(I can't remember the first part right now as my mind is all mixed up)
"Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive our debts as we forgive our debtors
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For thine is the kingdom
The power
The glory
Forever
Amen"

All of those things need to be said for P.

Hubby told me to look at the skyline. It was beautiful. It was all pink and hazy.

When I looked at him he had one tear running down the right side of his cheek.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

testing testing
El Charo under Anonymous, as Blogger is STIL displaying my real name.
wtf??

Anonymous said...

Testing 123

Anonymous said...

Shit yeah! I found a way to break through the mess. I have to sign off Blogger then choose "Other" as my identity. I type in whatever I want for my name, then put in my blog address for the web page.

Issy, I have missed commenting on your blog. Don't quit!

Funerals are something else. I have been to too many. At least you got to remember him and see the beauty in your surroundings that day, Issy.

Issy said...

Thanks for trying guys! I hate this whole Blogger thing! Whoever decided to take it to the "next" level of Google had their dick in their ear at the time. This is bullshit!

B - Thanks for the whole passage. Rereading it sinks in more. My head was full of all kinds of swimming thoughts that I forgot about 50% of this. Thanks for reminding me.

(S)wine said...

"though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

i love what tarantino did with that in Pulp Fiction